Monday, November 24, 2014

The Mockingjay Part 1 ~ a review



Yesterday we went to the cinema to see The Mockingjay Part 1.  Great movie.  Thoroughly enjoyed it.   A friend asked for a full review.  So far all i've given is an overview.  So here's the review from a single working mumma of 3 (which has absolutely nothing to do with this review and is totally irrelevant by the way).
 
The movie picks up where Catching Fire left off, with Katniss Everdeen as a hot mess with some sort of post-traumatic breakdown going on.  (I relate girlfriend, I relate).  She's in District 13 and sexy Gale Hawthorne is there as well. (Come on girl, "have you seen him"). 
 
Peeta's in the Capitol and it's game on.  But a different sort of game this time round.  The first two movies were action-packed with Hunger Games events, whereas this movie focuses on a post-games war..  Action is mostly replaced with drama and war progaganda is strong throughout the movie.
 
Katniss decides to become the face of the revolution.  There are still some amazing action scenes as she visits some of the other districts with a film crew.  Throw in an unexpected kiss, a fabulous and catchy Katniss tune, a mission impossible type rescue mission and a reunion that wasn't as hearts and roses as it could have been and you've got the basis of a good movie. 
 
Gone are the flamboyant and colourful costumes.  District 13 are having none of that nonsense.  We are reunited with the character of Effie Trinket part way through the movie and she is both charming and amusing  and quite possibly one of my favourite characters this time round. 
  
The stormtroopers peacekeepers are back too, in their white suits, heavily armed with machine guns and loyalty to the Capitol.   Apparently these guys have a minimum 20 years of service and not allowed to marry or have children in that time.  (The jury is out on whether this makes them happier little peacekeepers or not).  
 
Now i'm keen to go back and watch the first 2 movies again.   I have to be honest and say that when I watched the first movie the mum in me couldn't get my head around children being put up as tributes.  Why couldn't they be 18+?  I decided to go on a one-person strike against the franchise.  No way was I watching Catching Fire.   But I did, and it sat better with me, and I looked forward to The Mockingjay.  Now I am left to count down to Part 2. 
 
So the Mockingjay part 1 ending wasn't as cliffhanger as I would have liked.  Quite the opposite really.  But it hasn't deterred me -  this series and I have unfinished business now.   
 
And there's my review of The Mockingjay Part 1. About three things I was absolutely positive.  First Katniss was a hero.  Second, there was a part of me — and I didn't know how potent that part might be — that admired the determination and strength of Katniss. And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably perving on Gale the whole movie. 
 
Enjoy!  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment